Welcome to From Shores to Skylines and thanks for stopping by!
I’m Katie Lutz, and this site is all about two of my favorite things: traveling and eating. I guess you want to see the girl behind the travel blog.
Here’s a photo of me doing what I do best:
This travel blog is not about convincing you to quit your job and travel the world. It’s about finding a balance between the world we live in and the other one that’s out there. And eating. We do a lot of that around here. From Shores to Skylines started out humbly as a travelogue, and has grown into a travel resource that we hope will inspire and motivate people to be more aware of other cultures and the environment. I chose the name “From Shores to Skylines” because it defines how I like to travel: to see everything in an area, including nature, history, culture and (of course) food, from its shores to its skylines.
Stick around and you’ll find we’re passionate about three things: travel, delicious food and science, especially conservation.
FSTS focuses on:
- Small, local level sustainable travel.
- Connecting with cultures through food. After all, everyone can relate to food. Through recipes, food guides and travel tales, we get to our hearts through our stomach.
- Tools and resources for traveling, including packing lists, travel resources and lessons learned while traveling.
- Science and conservation of wildlife and environments.
- Humor, especially sarcasm, as it relates to life and travel.
Join our community by subscribing to the monthly newsletter.
- A simple guide to ethical travel
- Full travel planning resources
- Navigate by country
- View this site’s full archives here
- Check out some of Katie’s favorite inspirational quotes
Katie grew up in the midwestern US and still resides just outside of Cincinnati with her husband Dan and chocolate lab Penny. No one she knows really travels and they all think she’s crazy (they might be right). She caught the travel bug on a trip to Mexico in 2001, and has travelled every chance she gets since then.
She works two full-time jobs: one as a biologist and the other as a story-teller here on FSTS. If she’s not on the road, she’s planning her next big trip. You can read the extended non-third person version here.
Follow Me On Social Media